Countries of Work
Aga Khan University, Academic Projects AfghanistanMar 2018 - May 2021Oversees all Aga Khan University academic projects division, which supports health human resource development and graduate education, including technical support to the MoPH, Ghazanfar Institute of Health Sciences and its regional institutes, Kabul Medical University, and French Medical Institute for Children.
Developed and submitted a five-year plan for the implementation of AKU health programs in Afghanistan to the university’s academic leadership.
Oversaw technical assistance to the school’s academic teams and administration to ensure the General Nursing Diploma Program at the Badakhshan Institute of Health Sciences reached a perfect score in the accreditation board assessment.
Aga Khan Health Service, AfghanistanJan 2014 - Mar 2018Directed the 3,000-employee organization throughout Afghanistan.
Nationalized all staff positions, becoming the first Afghan CEO of the AKHS and AKDN institutions in Afghanistan.
Expanded e-health services to three remote comprehensive health centers and two district hospitals with tele-consultations, tele-imaging, tele-pathology, and e-learning capabilities.
Oversaw the development and implementation of the $45 million USAID- and AKDN-funded Multi-Input Area Development-Global Development Alliance partnership to improve health, education, and livelihood outcomes in Badakhshan province.
Supported development and implementation of the $75 million Health Action Plan for Afghanistan
Aga Khan Health Service, AfghanistanApr 2011 - Dec 2013Led the successful ISO Certification for Quality Management Systems (ISO 9001-2008) for all AKHS programs, including two provincial hospitals and several clinics in Badakhshan and Bamyan and became ISO lead auditor.
Developed the strategic plan for AKHS-A and country-level monitoring plan for the agency.
Contributed to the successful multimillion proposals for Maternal, Newborn, and Child Health (MNCH) and Central Asia Health System Strengthening (CAHSS) projects funded by AKDN and Canada’s Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade, and Development.
Expanded AKHS-A’s program coverage area in Badakhshan and Bamyan to two more districts and increased the number of beneficiaries by 175,000.
Saint Louis University, School of Public HealthGraduated 2008Master of Public Health
Balkh University, Medical FacultyGraduated 1999Medicine
Impact of conflict on maternal and child health service delivery: a country case study of AFGPublished Dec 2020
Delivery of health and nutrition interventions for women and children in the context of armed confliPublished Oct 2020
Testing a home-based model of care using misoprostol for prevention and treatment of PPHPublished Jul 2020
Scaling up primary health services for improving reproductive, maternal, and child healthPublished Dec 2018
Rethinking community based strategies to tackle health inequities in South AsiaPublished Nov 2018
Areas of Expertise
- Remote Coaching
- Community health boards
- Social accountability and community advocacy for health
- Social participation and health communication
- Strengthening linkages between community health and PHC
- Direct facility financing
- Pooling of funds
- Provider payment
- Resource allocation
- Change management
- Health management, policy and planning
- Institutional strengthening
- Monitoring and evaluation
- Stakeholder engagement
- Strategic planning
- Strategy development
- Data reporting and analysis
- Health management information systems
- Health-related surveys
- Disease prevention
- Health promotion
- Community health workers--engagement, capacity-building and retention
- Human resources planning, management, training and development
- Staff motivation and retention
- Data collection methodology
- Indicator development
- Performance management plans
- Quantitative and qualitative analysis
- Results and logical frameworks
- Maternal, newborn and child health
- Non-communicable diseases
- Health provider capacity mapping
- Policy analysis
- Problems and priorities assessment
- Stakeholder analysis
- Community health services
- Design and organization of service delivery models that include PHC and community health services
- Health management
- Quality and quality assurance
- Service delivery networks
- Strategic communications for engaging with community stakeholders for health
- Risk management